Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Minecraft for PSP 2: The Great Galleon

The Great Galleon

After the last post, I decided that I had served my words wrong. I had used the phrase galleon to describe ships which are maybe brigantines or sloops at best. To avenge the honor of the mighty galleon, I set out to make a ship truly worthy of the title galleon.

Without further ado, I present, the Great Galleon.





This ship, for all intents and purposes, is MASSIVE. Compare its stern to the entire mass of the SS Chibi.



It possesses exactly 62 guns, 31 pointing to either side of the ship. This ship, were it real, would have been able to challenge even the ships-of-the-line which were so popular during the Age of Piracy. Compare to the SS Matey-9's 16 guns.



It carries them on three levels, two of which are gun decks which double as holds.





The ship even has a recreation room near the stern. Feel free to play poker during your off-duty hours, scallywags.



Construction of The Great Galleon

I spent about four and a half hours building this ship. As usual, I used a layer method, constructing the ship's hull in layers in an attempt to achieve a realistic result. I think the hull ended up a bit too wide, but that's probably just alright as it allows for more flavor to be added to the ship. The placement of the masts is one thing I could have done better I suppose, and the sails proved challenging to design once again. The decision to make this ship more or less a warship came partially from the idea that I needed to follow the theme I had set beforehand, and partially because I didn't have any ideas that seemed interesting/made sense for an Age of Sail boat. Yes, I intentionally put it at a broadside position from the SS Matey-9. I think it looks bad-ass, like the Galleon is about to blow it to pieces, while the smaller Chibi is trying to run away.

What should I build next?

Having achieved this grand feat of wooden ship architecture, I've come to wonder; what should I build next in this game? I'm not really in the mood for wooden ships, seeing as I kind of reached the maximum potential there. Do you guys have any ideas? Post them and there's a good chance they'll be the next thing I build, when I decide to make a Minecraft for PSP post.

On a similar note, I'll post the save files for the ship trio here if anyone specifically asks for it. Fellow Lamecrafters UNITE~! :P

12 comments:

ld said...

im not a minecraft player but it does like like an addictive game.

Comic Book Club said...

can you download map for it .

Sinclair said...

That would be the coolest home base ever... You lucky dog...

Bersercules said...

Next build a submarine!

Health Install said...

incredible that must have taken so much time and effort great job

Jack said...

That was one beast ship.

gog magog said...

nice boat

Murdernickel said...

I don't play minecraft much but HOLY SHIT that is amazing.

DWei said...

I'd suggest building a giant biome next.

Jacob McCann said...

Wow, wow, and wow. That is impressive. amazing work, can't wait to see what you have coming next.

Ghevrix said...

Sweet build! It would be cool if you could find a way to actually make it seaworthy. Would be way more stylish than that 1x1 box-boat!

Anonymous said...

Not a bad ship. I built one much better though.

Personally I think minecraft should stick with the PC. Most consoles are junk anyway.