Monday, August 8, 2011

Breakfast Sludge

So browsing the internets today, I found this odd infopic relating to a breakfast creation known as Breakfast Sludge. What's breakfast sludge, you might ask? Well, to save you the trouble of reading through the infopic, it is more or less cereal, followed by coffee, tea, sugar and hot chocolate.

... what?

Take cereal, put in mucho instant coffee, mucho hot chocolate, mucho sugar, teabag, milk, hot water.

Making it is very simple, provided you have the materials. I had a little trouble getting it all to dissolve in the water: even after several minutes of constant stirring, it still has small lumps. I could not get my hands on an appropriate cereal, sadly.

But what flavor! The breakfast sludge does not taste like coffee, hot chocolate, tea, nor milk: instead, it has a unique, delicious taste, like... tea with coffee. The hot chocolate is not as noticeable; however, I think I may have made it a tad strong on the coffee. It's ridiculously smooth (probably not so with additional bulk!) and very strong, not just from coffee but from its unique flavor.

This sludge is pretty damn good, probably even better with cereal bulk. The way I made the unlikely delicious drink was as follows:

  • 2.5 spoonfuls of instant coffee
  • 2.5 spoonfuls of sugar
  • a splash of milk
  • one 2 tbsp. scoop of hot chocolate
  • one teabag, allowed to brew 2 minutes
  • boiling water

My method has produced a drink with about 230-240 mg for a 12 oz. mug, including the hot chocolate. Pretty bad-ass for some quick energy. I arrived at the drink feeling tired after 16 hours of activity, and by finishing half of it, felt quite energetic.

I must concede that this may not be the drink for everyone, but it strikes gold for my pallet. Please, try this delicious beverage yourself. And be sure to read the infopic, it's quite an entertaining read.

24 comments:

theflyingblogger said...

Oh my god, that sounds disgustingly delicious. I might try it.

Johnny Wilkin said...

That does sound amazing.

Seriousname said...

actually im too scared to try this. D: more like i dont want to make it then have to throw it out due to not suiting my tastes :d

Dan Carter said...

that...sounds...beautiful.

Mobias said...

Dude, why would you do that? :(

I have some health problems and I haven't eaten a chocolate in like 6 - 7 years. This reminds me of the good old times.

Clotifoth said...

@Seriousname Just do what I did, make 12 oz. and sip.

Sinclair said...

That sounds awesome! I might have to try that out!

Markis Markison said...

sounds bizarre, but ill basically eat anything, and its so easy to make.

gog magog said...

brekky, yay

Electric Addict said...

oh man that sounds really good

Bersercules said...

I'm gonna have to try this!

Comic Book Club said...

I might try it. sound delish

Health Install said...

Reading this made me hungry , i hope your proud of yourself.

Health Install said...

oh gosh i definitely have to try this recipe

Allebanna said...

tea and chocolate together..?
jeez, you could not have picked a better name for the brew.

Unknown said...

"breakfast sludge" indeed

Orange_Pulp said...

Hahahaha ewwww I had horrible experiences with bran flakes soup. Ugh

PxZ said...

Nice recipe :)

Unknown said...

As an expert in the art of consuming caffeinated drinks, I can assure you that I will try this. Sounds delicious!

JDC said...

Reminds me of that stuff the orcs drink to keep running in the twin towers. Think ill stick with my toast and coffee for now though.

SuperCrabby said...

never heard of that and it sounds weird.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I've seen the vertical of that before. Glad someone actually made it.

Havoc said...

What kind of cereal is that? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

No said...

I'm trying this tomorrow morning!